TOFU SCRAMBLE RECIPE

Wednesday 9 January 2019


Before going vegan, eggs were a staple part of my diet (especially at uni) and so I was quite worried about making the big transition of cutting them out despite knowing it was what I wanted to do. There are all sorts of egg alternatives available now, I know Follow Your Heart have a ready made egg replacement, but I thought I would try a tofu scramble for something I can use for breakfast/brunch. To this specific recipe, I added some Violife cream cheese to make the flavour slightly creamier - and I always used to like a slight cheesiness to my scrambled eggs anyway! It only takes around 10 minutes to make and is really filling.

Ingredients: serves 2 (for on toast etc.), but if you want it as part of a fry-up breakfast maybe split between 4.

  • 1 tablespoon vegan butter
  • 1 block of tofu  - you can use any firmness of tofu (this happened to be extra firm as it is all I had left, hence why I added cream, but if you use silken tofu leave out the cream as it will be creamy enough)
  • 100ml vegan cream, I used Oatly
  • 2 tablespoons vegan cream cheese
  • 2 teaspoons turmeric
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • Pinch of salt
  • Black pepper (to personal preference/taste)
Recipe:
  1. Melt the vegan butter in a frying pan over a medium heat
  2. Crumble in the block of tofu (if using firm), or place silken tofu in the pan and break up with a spoon, and toss in to the melted butter
  3. Add the garlic powder and turmeric and continue to fry off, until the tofu is completely and evenly yellow from the turmeric
  4. Add salt and pepper and stir through again
  5. Add the vegan cream, and stir through so that it soaks into all pieces of tofu
  6. Just before serving, stir through the vegan cream cheese gently so that it is evenly distributed through the scramble
  7. Serve and add extra black pepper as desired
Such a simple recipe as you can see, and one that is really easy to incorporate into brunch meals. You can also alter the flavour of these really easily, by removing the cream cheese and switching for something else - maybe a curried version with more spices, or using it as part of a brunch burrito with beans, rice, tomatoes and avocado. The options are endless, and I'm excited to try more!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by | mlekoshiPlayground |