HOW TO VEGAN: PLANT MILK GUIDE

Sunday 6 January 2019


One of the most daunting things about transitioning to a vegan diet is finding the best plant-based alternatives to the staple items in your kitchen. Finding the perfect plant milk is one of these, as many are more effective for certain purposes than others, and this guide will seek to help when choosing which milk to opt for. There is no point in assuming these will taste like dairy milk in any way, because they don't, but when you find the right ones they are delicious.

Cereal/porridge: for this, you can essentially use any plant milk on the market as they all compliment cereal in different ways, and in reality this one just depends on your personal preference. My favourite for cereal is hazelnut milk as it has a really rich and unique flavour which adds something extra to your cereal, but when I don't have this at home I just reach for whatever is available. If you want to really treat yourself, try chocolate soya milk in porridge. Sweetened versions of plant milks usually work best for pairing with cereal.

Hot drinks: this is something that scares off a lot of new vegans as the milk can seem to almost separate when in a hot drink - this isn't actually anything to be bothered by but it's understandable to not want this. If this bothers you, try the Oatly Barista edition milk, it's specially made for hot drinks and also I find oat milk to be the one which doesn't alter the taste of tea or coffee - and avid hot drink lovers will appreciate this I'm sure.

Cooking: milk can often be a component to many recipes in cooking and this of course needs to be chosen correctly to avoid the risk of the flavour being thrown off. For curries, always opt for coconut milk as it works the best and is commonly used anyway even in non-vegan dishes (or, try the Oatly cream for something even creamier). For use in making sauces - for example a vegan cheese or alfredo sauce, I stand by oat milk once again, or rice milk works pretty well too. Maybe opt for unsweetened versions to ensure the taste isn't off.

Baking: this is another that generally can universal, however my favourites are almond milk and oat milk. You can adapt the milk flavour to the recipe you're creating too, and even could use chocolate soya or almond milk when you're baking something chocolate flavour for extra richness. A lot of recipes for baking require you to mix the milk with cider vinegar to create a 'buttermilk' type thing, so sometimes this can change the taste - so perhaps don't be too concerned with what type of milk you choose here.

Hopefully this makes things a little easier when deciding your plant milks of choice, and let me know your favourites in the comments! I'm always up for trying new brands and types considering so many new products get released these days.

12 comments :

  1. This is so helpful. I usually just use almond milk but would like to branch out and try some different ones. Definitely like the sound of using hazelnut milk on cereal!

    Lucy | Forever September

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad it was useful to you - definitely try out the hazelnut milk it's delicious! x

      Delete
  2. It's superior, however , check out material at the street address. OrganicDonkey Milk Soap

    ReplyDelete
  3. On this page you can read my interests, write something special. OrganicDonkey Milk Soap

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can set up my new idea from this post. It gives in depth information. Thanks for this valuable information for all,.. torte instagram

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome article Lot's of data to Read...Great Man Keep Posting and upgrade to People..Thanks Pure ghee

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this is an informative post and it is very useful and knowledgeable. therefore, I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. how to make tea tree oil at home

    ReplyDelete
  7. The post is written in very a good manner and it contains many useful information for me. best organic cow ghee

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're the best to share us about this redesign. Trust you won't get tired on making posts as enlightening as this. cultured organic ghee

    ReplyDelete
  9. Much thanks for composing such an intriguing article on this point. This has truly made me think and I plan to peruse more. cultured ghee

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really great post. I just unearthed your online journal and needed to say that I have truly delighted in perusing your blog entries. Any way I'll be subscribing to your food and I trust you post again soon. Huge much obliged for the valuable data. organic cultured ghee

    ReplyDelete
  11. This post is extremely radiant. I extremely like this post. It is outstanding amongst other posts that I ve read in quite a while. Much obliged for this better than average post. I truly value it! organic ghee

    ReplyDelete

Proudly designed by | mlekoshiPlayground |