THE DUTCH BRAID

Monday 21 March 2016

(Hair styled by myself)

Since I was young, I was never one to enjoy wearing my hair up and it was near enough only for the sake of PE in school where I would slick my hair back into a ponytail through gritted teeth and extreme reluctance. In terms of braids, I would only ever wear these overnight to achieve rather mad wavy hair in the mornings, but since the dutch braid has come into fashion and seems to take up 70% of my Instagram feed, I've become partial to the odd pair of plaits on a pretty regular basis.

For work I have to wear my hair up/out of my face for hygiene reasons, and I often opt for these braids for a more fashionable alternative than a regular ponytail that leaves me looking rather 'egg' like. I like the 3D effect a dutch braid gives, in comparison to the usual French braid. This is rather simply achieved by passing each strand under the others into the middle rather than on top.

I think what I like the most is that this works on any length of hair. My sister (pictured above) has a shoulder length chop and this still works just as well as those that have hair to almost their waist, and I personally find that its this versatility that makes it a go to style for so many. It also works a treat for when you don't have time to wash your hair; with the help of a few spritzes of dry shampoo.

Are you a fan of the dutch braid or are you yet to master it?

4 comments :

  1. I have just about mastered how to do this, but can never get it tight on my head - any tips?

    Parie x
    classandglitter.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to do this hairstyle. It looks super cute and gets hair out of my face. This hairstyle is very popular nowadays. I saw so many girls wearing it. xx

    Antonia || Sweet Passions

    ReplyDelete
  3. My hairs too short to do these but I think they look so pretty, I'm jealous of the people that can pull this look off!

    Lucy | Forever September

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your choice of pieces, it's super pretty.


    http://www.pickedlooks.com/

    ReplyDelete

Proudly designed by | mlekoshiPlayground |